Gannon's Model UN Club with Erie Mayor and Gannon alum Joe Schember.
Model UN weekend kicked off with the university’s club meeting with Erie Mayor and Gannon alum Joe Schember for a flag-raising and proclamation ceremony.
The General Assembly of the 71st Model UN at Gannon University will convene on Friday, November 3. This year, topics include nuclear proliferation, human trafficking, piracy, and a crisis at the International Olympic Committee.
- Disarmament and International Security (DISEC) - Nuclear disarmament
- Social, Humanitarian and Cultural Committee (SOCHUM) - Human trafficking
- Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) - Rural Economic Development
- Specialized Agency - International Olympic Committee
- The UN Security Council - Piracy
- Crisis Committee (UNESCO) - Stolen artifacts
- The Press Corps.
Gannon University’s Model UN is the oldest consecutively run conference in the world. It is an international academic program for middle school, high school and college students to learn about how the United Nations operates where students are assigned as delegates representing countries on UN committees to debate issues from the perspective of the country they represent.
Learn more here, and follow along on social media using #GUModelUN: