Skip to Main Content

For Canadian Students

  • Undergraduate Financial Aid

    Undergraduate Canadian citizens are eligible for an international award worth up to $16,000 U.S. Dollars per academic year.

    Before Entering the United States

    All International students entering the United States as an F-1 or J-1 status, you must pay the SEVIS I-901 SEVIS Fee. This $350 fee for F-1 or $220 fee for J-1 must be paid before you can enter the United States. The fee can be paid to the DHS by mail or online. You must include the Form I-901 with the fee. The fee can be paid by the student or by someone else (family member or friend) inside or outside the US. This fee cannot be paid to Gannon University or port of entry/airport.

    To pay by mail:

    1. Obtain a Form I-901 “Fee Remittance for Certain F, J and M Nonimmigrants.”
      • Download the form from
      • Request the form by phone at 1-800-870-3676 (inside the US)
    2. Complete the Form I-901. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 form.
    3. Prepare a check, international money order or foreign draft (drawn on US banks only) in the amount of $350 USD for F-1 or $220 USD for J-1, made payable to “The Department of Homeland Security.”
    4. Mail the completed I-901 and payment to the address listed on Form I-901.
    5. A Form I-797 receipt notice should be mailed within 3 days of processing the fee. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with you other important immigration documents.

    To pay online:

    1. Find the Form I-901 at
    2. Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, Mastercard or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 form.
    3. Print a copy of your online receipt.
    4. Be sure to make copies of your receipt, and keep it with your other important immigration documents.

    Entering the United States

    Canadian citizens are exempt from visa stamp requirements. Full-time Canadian students must, however, present a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) with their guarantee of financial support to the U.S. Immigration Officer at the port of entry.

    You will be asked to complete an Arrival/Departure Record (I-94). The Immigration Inspectors will stamp the form, indicating the date and place of your entry and will indicate that you are admitted for “D/S” (Duration of Status).

    If you hold an F-1 or J-1 visa, D/S means that you are permitted to stay in the U.S. as long as you are a full-time student pursuing a degree, but no later than the expected date of completion on your Form I-20 or DS-2019 plus any number of days granted as a grace period according to the terms of your student status.

    Procedures exist to extend your Certificate of Eligibility if further time is required to complete your program. You should inquire about extension procedures as the date approaches.