109 University Square
Erie, PA 16541
105 Commercial Center Drive
Ruskin, FL 33573
View Ruskin Campus
The Theatre program is housed in Gannon University's School of Communication and the Arts. Gannon’s location in downtown Erie places students near three operating theatres. Professors in the Theatre Program are dynamic, experienced scholars and practitioners with a passion for teaching.
The School of Communication and the Arts sponsors trips to New York City and London, tours of theatres in neighboring cities, and participation in the American College Theatre Festival Region II.
Students have the option to pursue a BA in Performance for Media and Stage or a BA in Theatre Design and Technologies as well as a BA in Theatre and Communication Arts. These majors uphold the standards of Gannon's liberal studies core and broad based education, while offering strong professional experience in both the School of Communication & the Arts' core curriculum as well as each of the focused specializations
BA Performance for Media and Stage students are provided opportunities to participate in regular audition processes, as well as studying stage combat, acting, voice and diction, improv, and movement. BA Theatre Design and Technology students are provided opportunities to participate in the pre-production and production process of the technical side of the Schuster Theatre main stage. Lighting, sound design, set construction, scenic painting and graphic design are integral elements for a large scale theatrical program. Theatre & Communication Arts students are offered opportunities in both performance and technical theatre as well as communication opportunities such as graphic design, radio, and speech.
For more information, please check out our fact sheets here:
Theatre & Communication Arts
Theatre Technologies & Design
Performance for Media and Stage
Or contact the Director of Performing & Visual Arts, Alaina Manchester
• Gannon University's Theatre Program was one of the original American College/University programs invited to perform at the International Collegiate Theatre Festival held in Edinburgh, Scotland in 2011. Since that inaugural participation, Gannon returned in 2014 with WHIMSICAL GRIMM, an original work involving puppetry. Gannon's Theatre program returned to Edinburgh in August 2017 to perform the new work APE/ESSENCE by Rev. Shawn Clerkin, based on the work by Aldous Huxley earning a prestigious four star review from The British Theatre Guide.
• Students from the Theatre program have the opportunity to attend the United States Institute of Theatre Technology (USITT) conference with Gannon faculty. This conference enables our students to meet and interact with theatre design and technology professionals from across the country. Students may attend various workshops, interview for internships, have their design portfolios reviewed, and meet with various theatre graduate programs during the week-long conference.
• Your academic course selection, grades, rank in class, school counselor recommendation and SAT/ACT scores will be carefully reviewed for admission consideration.• Demonstrate motivation and curiosity through interests and extracurricular activities.
For students wishing to be accepted for admission to one of the Theatre Programs:
• Students wishing to be accepted to the BA in Performance for Media and Theatre will need to successfully complete an admission audition process.
• Students wishing to be accepted to the BA in Theatre Design and Technologies will need to successfully complete a portfolio review process.
• Students wishing to be accepted to the BA in Theatre & Communication Arts are not required to complete and audition or portfolio review but are invited to in order to be eligible for a theatre scholarship.