Skip to Main Content


  • Are any entrance exams required to apply?

    No, there are no entrance exams required for application to the RN to BSN program.

    Is there a clinical component?

    There is a minimal clinical requirement in the NURS 203: Transition to Professional Nursing and NURS 414: Promoting Healthy Communities courses. We will work with you to ensure that you can fit these requirements into your schedule where you live.

    Are CLEP exams available to earn course credit?

    Yes, students who have been admitted to Gannon University, Villa Maria School of Nursing are eligible to CLEP out of DIET 202: Nutrition. Please contact your admissions advisor or student services coordinator for additional information on this option.

    Can I get credit for work experience?

    At Gannon, we recognize and value your professional experience. In an effort to save money and avoid learning about topics you may have years of experience with, we offer a portfolio option in which you utilize the 14-weeks of a semester to prepare a portfolio incorporating your work experience instead of taking specific classes. The portfolio option is available for three nursingcourses: NURS 404: Nurse Power Politics, NURS 408: Management and Leadership in Nursing and NURS 414: Promoting Healthy Communities. The portfolio process is addressed during NURS 203: Transition to Professional Nursing Course and must be approved by the assigned faculty member or Program Director; students will be evaluated for the portfolio option during NURS 203, which is primarily based on work experience covered within each course.

    What are the instructor's qualifications and experience?

    Our nursingschool faculty members are practicing nurses with both academic expertise and extensive professional experience. Almost one third of our faculty members have completed or are in the process of completing a doctorate degree, and all faculty possess a master's degree.

    Is Gannon's RN to BSN program accredited?

    Yes. The RN to BSN program is  accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, CCNE (One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, DC, 20036; 202-887-6791).

    Where can I find nursing scholarships opportunities?

    The US Department of Health and Human Services offers a variety of loans and scholarships to encourage and enable clinicians to work in underserved areas. Visit the site here.

    How does online learning work?

    You will have access to an online learning interface with email and discussion message boards. When you log on is up to you, but you need to complete each week's assignments by the deadlines set by your instructor. Before classes begin, you will attend an online orientation that will help familiarize you with the online learning system so that you can focus on your education as opposed to learning how to utilize the system.