Apply to Gannon

  • Important procedures that will save you time and trouble

    The Office of Global Admissions and Outreach staff wants to ensure that your application to Gannon University is complete and that all documents are submitted. To do this, you will need to submit the following documents.

  • All applicants must:

    Step 1: Submit an Application

    Submit your Admissions application online.

    Step 2: Pay Application Fee

     A non-refundable application fee ranging from $25-$100 is required by all applicants, and should be drawn on a prime U.S. Bank or international money order made payable to "Gannon University." To pay by credit card, complete the appropriate area on Gannon's International Admissions application to pay online.

    Step 3: Submit Evidence of English-language Proficiency

    Evidence of English-language proficiency for academic purposes for students whose native language is not English and who want to begin their course work for their degree upon arrival. The following assessments are accepted by Gannon for this purpose: 

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 550 (paper test), 213 (computer test) or 79 (iBT).
    • ELS Language Center level 112, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 in lieu of TOEFL.
    •  A minimum Pearson Tests of English (PTE) score of 53. 
    • Completion of a four-year degree from an accredited U.S. university within the past year.
    • Successful completion of Gannon's English as a Second Language (ESL) program. 

    Students who do not submit evidence of a minimal proficiency in English have the opportunity to test for proficiency upon arrival and if necessary, enroll  into Gannon's  English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) program.

    Step 4: Affidavit of Support Form

    Submit the affidavit of support form which is required for verification of financial resources in order to issue the I-20.

    As of September 12th 2015, Gannon University requires all graduate students applying from India to deposit $1000.00 before the I-20 is issued, please note that Gannon will also add $1000.00 in financial aid to each deposit made. Please email if you have any questions regarding deposits.

    For more information click Affidavit of Support Form requirements. Gannon University will accept the following for financial proof:

    • Original bank statements verifying account balances (from either U.S. or foreign banking institutions). The funds must be shown in U.S. dollars. Receipts from automatic teller machines do not constitute bank statements.
    • Original letters from bank officials written in English on bank letterhead verifying the account holder, account number and current balance in U.S. dollars.
    • Original letters from employers written in English on official letterhead verifying the name and annual salary of the employee and indicating continued employment.

    If the documentation provided is not in the student's name, it must be accompanied by an original signed letter from the account holder or employee promising to support you financially and verifying that the documented funds are allocated for that purpose.

    Photocopies are not acceptable forms of financial proof. The Admissions Office must retain originals in your file.

    Step 5: Submit Official Transcripts

    Accepted international students must provide official or attested transcripts prior to arriving on campus. 

    To submit your transcripts, please mail them via express courier to: 

    Office of Global Admissions and Outreach
    Gannon University MS#64
    109 University Square
    Erie, PA 16541

    For any questions regarding the deadline of which your transcripts must be turned in, please contact: 

    The Office of Global Admissions and Outreach at


    Step 6: International Transfer Application

    The International Transfer Application is required of all international students who are transferring to Gannon from another college, university, or ESL center in the United States.

  • Additional Information Required

    Applicants for undergraduate study

    1. Official copies of academic records from each secondary/high school attended accompanied by official, literal English translations.
    2. Statement of Purpose. This statement should include information concerning your life and specific purpose for applying to Gannon.
    3. One letter of recommendation.

    Applicants for graduate study

    1. Official copies of academic records from each college/university attended, accompanied by official English translations.
    2. Three letters of recommendation must be forwarded for all degree-seeking applicants. Letters should be submitted by individuals who are familiar with the student's academic and professional background.
    3. Official test report of graduate entrance exam (i.e. GRE, GMAT, or MAT) scores must be submitted by all degree-seeking students when required by your program (please refer to your program's Fact Sheet to determine if this is a requirement). Non-degree students are not required to submit test scores.

    Transfer applicants

    1. Official transcripts from every college or university attended accompanied by official English translations.
    2. English translations of all course descriptions or syllabi for all courses taken.
    3. For international students who transfer from a college or university in the United States: Complete the Transfer Applicant Evaluation Form and submit it to the Dean of Students at all colleges or universities previously attended. Receipt of this form is required in order to complete final registration.
    4. International students who have completed less than a full academic year of college (at least 30 semester hours) must also request official transcripts from their secondary/high schools.

    Program Specific Requirements:

    Applicants for the Master of Science in Community Counseling must submit a 250 word essay explaining why they chose the Community Counseling program and what they intend to do with the degree; complete an interview with the director of the program. A phone interview may be scheduled by calling Dr. David Tobin at (814)871-7537. 

    Applicants to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program must contact the Office of Graduate Studies for a Physical Therapy application packet or download the DPT Application. Do not use the international application.

    All transcripts, credentials, and documents become the property of Gannon University and cannot be returned or forwarded to a third party.

  • English as a Second Language

    Do I need to take English As A Second Language courses?

    If you are coming from an English-speaking country (see list below), you will probably not need to take ESL courses. 

    If English is not your native language, you will need to take a test to measure your English language ability.

    You can take the test in your own country or you can take the test at Gannon when you arrive. 

    Depending on the result of your test, you will either be placed into one of the levels of ESL classes or if your results are high enough, you will not have to take ESL classes at all.

    What are the tests I may need to take?

    We will accept results from these tests (if your score is less than the number shown you will need to take English As A Second Language courses):

    TOEFL Computer-based 213
    TOEFL Internet-based 79
    TOEFL Paper-based 550
    IELTS Overall Band 6.5
    PTE 53
    EIKEN Grade Pre-1


    Are there other ways to measure my English language skill?

    You must show us a transcript that lists the highest level of English you have taken and your grades at that level and a letter of recommendation by the program director. 

    Additional Measurements Accepted

    • Advanced Level (A-Level): C in English
    • ESL Language Centers: Completion of Level 112
    • Campus-based ESL:Programs at accredited US-based colleges or universities
    • SAT Critical Reading score of 500
    • ACT English score of 21
    • International Baccalaureate (IB): 5 in English
    • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): score of 80
    • Certificate in Advanced English with a C
    • Certificate of Proficiency in English with a C
    • General Certificate of Education (GCE) O-Level: C in English
    • General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE): C in English
    • International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) O-Level: C in English
    • West African Examinations Council (WAEC): C in English
    • Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE): C in English

    Can I use a scholarship or award to pay for ESL classes? 

    Gannon University offers ESL as a service to students who need such training, and we do this at a cost that is much less than tuition. 

    That is why awards and scholarships intended for your degree work do not apply to ESL training.