Apply to Gannon

  • Important procedures

    The Office of Global Admissions and Outreach staff wants to ensure that your application to Gannon University is complete and that all documents are submitted. To do this, you will need to follow the steps below  

  • All applicants must:

    Step 1: Submit an Application

    Submit your Admissions application online.

    Step 2: Submit Evidence of English-language Proficiency

    Evidence of English-language proficiency for academic purposes for students whose native language is not English and who want to begin their course work for their degree upon arrival. The following assessments are accepted by Gannon for this purpose: 

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 550 (paper test), 213 (computer test) or 79 (iBT).
    • ELS Language Center level 112, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 in lieu of TOEFL.
    •  A minimum Pearson Tests of English (PTE) score of 53. 
    • Completion of a four-year degree from an accredited U.S. university within the past year.
    • Successful completion of Gannon's English as a Second Language (ESL) program. 
    • A minimum English3 score of 66 
    • A minimum Duolingo English Test score of 49 

    Please check the specific program you are interested in for English language proficiency requirements, as accepted exam scores may differ from program to program.

    Students who do not submit evidence of a minimal proficiency in English have the opportunity to test for proficiency upon arrival and if necessary, enroll  into Gannon's  English-as-a-Second Language (ESL) program. 

    Step 3: Affidavit of Support Form

    Submit the affidavit of support form which is required for verification of financial resources in order to issue the I-20.

    An enrollment deposit may be required.  Please contact the Office of Global Admissions and Outreach for more information.

    Gannon University will accept the following  as financial proof:

    • Original bank statements verifying account balances (from either U.S. or foreign banking institutions). The funds must be shown in U.S. dollars. Receipts from automatic teller machines do not constitute bank statements.
    • Original letters from bank officials written in English on bank letterhead verifying the account holder, account number and current balance in U.S. dollars.
    • Original letters from employers written in English on official letterhead verifying the name and annual salary of the employee and indicating continued employment.

    If the documentation provided is not in the student's name, it must be accompanied by an original signed letter from the account holder or employee promising to support you financially and verifying that the documented funds are allocated for that purpose.

    Photocopies are not acceptable forms of financial proof. The Global Admissions office must retain originals in your file.

    Step 4: Submit Official Transcripts

    Accepted international students must provide official or attested transcripts prior to arriving on campus. 

    To submit your transcripts, please mail them via express courier to: 

    Office of Global Admissions and Outreach
    Gannon University MS#64
    109 University Square
    Erie, PA 16541

    For any questions regarding the deadline of which your transcripts must be turned in, please contact: 

    The Office of Global Admissions and Outreach at

    Step 5: International Transfer Application

    The International Transfer Application is required of all international students who are transferring to Gannon from another college, university, or ESL center in the United States.

  • Additional Information Required

    Applicants for undergraduate study

    1. Official copies of academic records from each secondary/high school attended accompanied by official, literal English translations.
    2. Statement of Purpose. This statement should include information concerning your life and specific purpose for applying to Gannon.
    3. One letter of recommendation.

    Applicants for graduate study

    1. Official copies of academic records from each college/university attended, accompanied by official English translations.
    2. Three letters of recommendation must be forwarded for all degree-seeking applicants. Letters should be submitted by individuals who are familiar with the student's academic and professional background.
    3. Official test report of graduate entrance exam (i.e. GRE, GMAT, or MAT) scores may be required by your program (please refer to your program's Fact Sheet to determine if this is a requirement). Non-degree students are not required to submit test scores.

    Transfer applicants

    1. Official transcripts from every college or university attended accompanied by official English translations.
    2. English translations of all course descriptions or syllabi for all courses taken.
    3. For international students who transfer from a college or university in the United States: Complete the Transfer Applicant Evaluation Form and submit it to the Dean of Students at all colleges or universities previously attended. Receipt of this form is required in order to complete final registration.
    4. International students who have completed less than a full academic year of college (at least 30 semester hours) must also request official transcripts from their secondary/high schools.

    Program Specific Requirements:

    Applicants for the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling must submit a 250 word essay explaining why they chose the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program and what they intend to do with the degree. A phone interview may be required.  

    Applicants to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) program, Master of Science in Occupational Therapy program, and the Master of Athletic Training program must submit an application through Centralized Application Service (CAS).  All transcripts, credentials, and documents become the property of Gannon University and cannot be returned or forwarded to a third party.

  • English as a Second Language

    Do I need to take English As A Second Language courses?

    If you are coming from an English-speaking country (see list below ), you will probably not need to take ESL courses. 


    • Australia
    • Belize
    • British West Indies
    • Canada- excluding Quebec
    • Fiji
    • Ghana
    • Guyana
    • Ireland
    • Kenya
    • Liberia
    • New Zealand
    • Nigeria
    • Singapore
    • South Africa
    • United Kingdom


    *Other countries that have an English-language tradition will be considered on a case-by-case basis as determined by the success of similar students at Gannon or other U.S.-based colleges and universities.

    If English is not your native language, you will need to take a test to measure your English language ability unless you have demonstrated English proficiency by submitting documentation as outlined above in Step 2.

    You can take the test in your own country or you can take the test at Gannon when you arrive. 

    Depending on the result of your test, you will either be placed into one of the levels of ESL classes or if your results are high enough, you will not have to take ESL classes at all.

    What are the tests I may need to take?

    We will accept results from these tests (if your score is less than the number shown you will need to take English as a Second Language courses):

    TOEFL Computer-based 213
    TOEFL Internet-based 79
    TOEFL Paper-based 550
    IELTS Overall Band 6.5
    PTE 53
    EIKEN Grade Pre-1
     English3 66


    Are there other ways to measure my English language skill?

    You must show us a transcript that lists the highest level of English you have taken and your grades at that level.   You must also submit a letter of recommendation written by the program director. 

    Additional Measurements Accepted

    • Advanced Level (A-Level): C in English
    • ESL Language Centers: Completion of Level 112
    • Campus-based ESL:Programs at accredited US-based colleges or universities
    • SAT Critical Reading score of 500
    • ACT English score of 21
    • International Baccalaureate (IB): 5 in English
    • Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): score of 80
    • Certificate in Advanced English with a C
    • Certificate of Proficiency in English with a C
    • General Certificate of Education (GCE) O-Level: C in English
    • General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE): C in English
    • International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) O-Level: C in English
    • West African Examinations Council (WAEC): C in English
    • Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE): C in English

    Can I use a scholarship or award to pay for ESL classes? 

    No, awards and scholarships intended for your degree work do not apply to ESL training.